Match Reports and Club NewsFootballers start with victory over neighbours

Footballers start with victory over neighbours

St. Brigids Blackwater 2-09 v 1-08 Shelmaliers

Two goals from Shane O’Leary set the junior footballers on their way to victory over Shelmaliers second string in a sunny Wexford Centre of Excellence. The score really should of been a larger margin but when we were reduced to 14 men in the fourteenth minute it completely changed the game.

The first half saw a brilliant defensive performance from our lads limiting Shels to just three points, while we found the net twice at the other end. Shels set out there stall with 13 men behind the ball at times registering the first score but it was all one way traffic for the rest of the half. We had our first goal after Darragh Doyle broke through and tried to chip the keeper but Shane was on hand to punch to the net, registering his first ever score in championship football, having made his first appearance last year. He was unlucky not to goal again a minute later when his goal bound shot was clipped over by the goalie. Ger Lynch had to be at his best making a good goal bound block a minute later before the water break. Six minutes later, Shels burst through and could of got a goal but they couldnt keep the shot low and it went over the bar. We were using the new mark to good effect and Kerill pointed from one of these on 21 minutes after a Mossy catch. Unfortunately a minute later we lost Conor Sutton to injury with Dean Whelan making an appearance. From one end of the field to the other resulted in our next score, Mick Lillis doing trojan work to get a block at one end and some nice interplay resulted in Dean Whelan pointing at the other end. Kerill was unlucky to not goal when his shot rose above the bar before Dean Wright pointed from distance. Chris Gordon for the shels pointed just before the half time whistle with out lads leading by 6.

Pad pointed with barley 30 seconds gone on the clock with shels responding from a placed ball. Whats rare is wonderful and on 5 minutes Shane again tapping in a rebound to leave us 8 points in front. Shels though got a stroke of luck two minutes later, a miskick while the player was going for a point resulted in a goal for the men in amber and black. We did have a chance to score a penalty a minute later after Diarmuid burst through to be fouled but unfortunately the kick rose high and wide. We were reduced to 14 men before the last water break which was a harsh red card and Shels now completly on top had it back to 3 points with still 14 minutes left. That was down to 2 points six minutes later but that was as close as they got. Some brilliant interceptions by Aaron Culleton and a goal line clearance by Shane O’Leary on 30 minutes kept us in the lead, before Dean Wright had it back to three points on 32 minutes. A Mossy free was the final kick of the game to ensure we start the campaign off on a winning note. We now have a week off with Askamore facing the Shels next week before our final game against Askamore on the 13th September at 2pm in Monamolin, hopefully with spectators by then if restrictions are lifted.

1. Ger Lynch 2. Feidhlim Roche  3. Ennae Carroll  4. Ciaran Roche  5. Diarmuid Murphy  6. Paul O’Leary  7. Aaron Culleton  8. Dean Wright (0-2)  9. Mick Lillis  10. Pad O’Connor (0-1)  11. Shane O’Leary (2-1)  12. Conor Sutton (0-2, 0-1 free)  13. Tomas Murphy (0-1 free)  14. Kerill Sutton (0-1)  15. Darragh Doyle.

Subs used Dean Whelan (0-1) for Conor Sutton inj (25 mins), Darren Byrne for Kerill Sutton.