Minors win quarter final in stunning victory

St. Brigids Blackwater 2-16 v 2-15 Naomh Eanna

What doesn’t happen too often makes the heart grow fonder with the minors reaching a Premier County Hurling Semi Final for the first time in the clubs history (by ourselves). They caused a stunning upset defeating Naomh Eanna, last years Premier U16 hurling champions in a packed Blackwater pitch.

The boys had a dream start goaling after 5 minutes. Tomas Murphy broke free and soloed through to drive the ball into the net, giving the boys a two point lead. Johnny, Mossy and Pad kept the scoreboard ticking over while Mossy scored 3 in a row before the 20th minute mark. Gorey though were staying in touch and goaled after Adam Cullen did well to save in the goal and then they took a 2 point lead with just 6 minutes left on the clock. Captain Feidhlim Roche scored an inspirational point from centre back to bring to back to one and Pad levelled the game before Gorey and Pad exchanged frees to leave the game level at half time.

The second half started with a Naomh Eanna free before Johnny O’Toole and a Pad free put us in front again. Then the game changer, there was a brawl on the clubhouse side of the pitch with the Gorey player deemed to have pulled Ben Cullen’s face guard which reduced the Gorey side to 14. From the resulting free, Adam Murphy dropped the ball into the box with Shane Lynch getting the knock down, Brian Óg had a bit of work to do but managed to turn his defender and shot low to the bottom corner, resulting in a large roar from the crowd. We were 7 in front by the 14th minute and things looked good but Gorey finally had their purple patch, scoring 6 unanswered points in a row. The ever dependable Pad finally stopped the rot putting us 2 in front with 23 minutes gone before Johnny O’Toole did one of his maisy long runs to push it out to three. The lads put in a serious defensive shift for the last 7 minutes with Adam Murphy dominating at full back ably assisted by Ben Cullen and James Cullen on the corners. Gorey were still dangerous and they moved their centre forward into full for a free with only a few minutes left on the clock. He caught it and drove at the goal to get a penalty much to the dismay of the local home crowd. Molloy dispatched it to Adams left to level the game. With only 2 minutes left we needed another big push, we won precious free from near the sideline from distance. Pad though was the coolest man on the field as he dispatched it over the bar to leave a heart stopping last few minutes including injury time. Adam Cullen had hearts in mouths when he pulled off a good save before Adam Murphy drove it over near the sideline. A tussle formed where Frances eventually threw in the ball with it making its way to Ross Berry who soloed down the field before the ref blew the final whistle. So we are just 60 minutes from reaching a premier county final with our semi-final opponents yet to be confirmed, but many saying its Faythe Harriers. We will confirm in due course.

Team 1. Adam Cullen. 2. James Cullen. 3. Adam Murphy. 4. Ben Cullen. 5. Ollie Murphy. 6. Feidhlim Roche (0-1). 7. Bryan Mooney. 8. Patrick O’Connor (0-8, 0-7 free). 9. Johnny O’Toole (0-3). 10. Ross Berry. 11. Tomas Murphy (1-4). 12. Kealan Fikentscher. 13. Josh Culleton. 14. Shane Lynch. 15. Brian Óg Curran (1-0) Subs: Don Redmond, Conor Byrne,  Seamus Walsh, Jason Wallace, Alan Malanowski, Jimmy Whelan