Minors pip Oulart in cracker

Oulart The Ballagh 2-15 v 3-14 St. Brigids Blackwater

The minor hurlers put on a late show to overcome our neighbours in the minor hurling championship in Oulart on Thursday evening, with a large number of first team regulars missing. The game was an entralling from start to finish and attracted a large following from Blackwater and were quite vocal in encouraging on the boys to the end.

Oulart registered the first two points but Blackwaters first attack resulted in a goal. Ben Redmond won the ball in the corner and soloed through flicking to Mossy to tap to the net. James Kelly stuck over a point and then Aaron Culleton put over a free to put three between the sides. Over the next 10 minutes though Oulart were to score 1-2 without reply as they started to win the midfield battle. Our lads were looking dangerous anytime the ball went into the full forward line and the second goal came from a high ball in which was caught by Ben and he made no mistake to level the game with 20 gone. Oulart pointed almost immediately and pointed again to leave two between the sides. Ben scored an excellent point from a tight angle before Oulart scored again. Aaron put over a free before halftime to leave the game nicely poised at half time.

Whatever was said to the boys at half time from the five man managed team seemed to have worked as they came out firing on all cylinders. Johnny O’Toole picked the ball on the run at centre forward and there was only going to be one result as he drilled to the net to put the lads up by a point. The excellent Fhedlim Roche who moved to midfield on the turn pointed and then Mossy won the their puc out and stuck it over to put the men in green and gold 3 up. Another goal chance went begging when Jimmy Kelly was unlucky to kick wide. Oulart scored two frees before a Nobbs 65 and then a great Adam Murphy score when he took two heavy challenges and still eased it over. The boys scored the next three points with Fhedlim, Jake and then a brilliant Fhedlim score over the shoulder in front of the Blackwater crowd drew a large roar. With the lads 6 up and 14 left we looked comfortable but that all changed when Oulart goaled with 10 left and two minutes later the game was level. Two missed frees for both sides made it very tense and then some relief with 3 minutes left Jake slotted a free. But yet again Oulart equalised almost straight away. The lads needed something special and yet again Fhedlim came to the fore striking the ball over the black spot. Fhedlim won a valuable free a minute later and Jake stuck it over. With a minute left, the game was still on a knife edge. Oulart won a free and dropped it in and Paudric O’Toole was more than up to the task to make a great catch and clear. The ref blew the final whistle. So two wins from 3 games going into the break and with a number of players to come back, plenty to look forward to.

Team: 1. Pauric O’Toole. 2. Robert McGuinness. 3. Jake Nobbs (0-4, 0-3 free 0-1 65). 4. Jack Abrahams. 5. Caolan O’Reilly. 6. Aaron Culleton (0-2 free). 7. Adam Murphy (0-1). 8. Paddy Cullen. 9. Eoin O’Neill. 10. Johnny O’Toole (1-0) 11. Fhedlim Roche (0-4). 12. Shane Cahill. 13. Mossy O’Brien (1-1). 14. Ben Redmond (1-1). 15. Jimmy Kelly (0-1)

Subs used: Shane Lynch for Caolan O’Reilly, Ben Cullen for Jack Abrahams.