Inters into first Leinster League Hurling final

St. Brigids Blackwater 1-14 v 0-08 Carnew Emmets

Our intermediate hurlers have reached the Division Three Leinster Hurling League Final after defeating the Wicklow side without ever being under too much pressure after the first few minutes. It was 1903 when Blackwater last reached a Leinster Final and while this final is no where near the prestige of that day as it was the Leinster Championship representing Wexford, its still a chance of silverware for our boys and to hurl in a large venue before a Leinster Championship match.

We played against a very strong wind in the first half but we raced out of the blocks quickly with Diarmuid and Dean Wright scoring in the first 3 minutes. The only goal of the game arrived a minute later, a high ball in from Dean Wright was pulled on in the air from last years top scorer Diarmuid Murphy and it went all the way to the bottom corner. Both teams found it difficult for the next 18 minutes as two Carnew scores and one Dean Wright score were wedged between 14 wides from both sides in the first period. The backs were really on top with Mick Lillis, making his 100th competitve appearance since records began in 2010 clearing a lot of ball in the half back line long with Denis Carroll and Paul O’Leary both putting in good shifts. Topar was unlucky not to goal after 17 minutes after he turned his marker soloed from the 40 but his shot for the bottom corner was just off target. A Dean Wright free just before half time left the scores 1-05 to 0-05 which showed the game wasnt pretty but the lads had a good wind in the second half to look forward to.

Darren set the tone for the second half with two excellent scores from the midfielder who played brilliantly throughout while Dean Wright notched over a free. Carnew responded with a point from play, they only managed 4 throughout the match before the lads had there best period scoring 6 points in a row over the next 10 minutes, effectively dismissing the Carnew challenge. Darren was unlucky not to goal with 46 minutes gone, bursting through but going wide of the goal pulling on the ground with the ball hitting the side netting. Bed Redmond did well to score from near the sideline with 8 to go, pointing his first ever point in adult hurling in competitive action. Carnew Emmets scored a free a minute later but by this time it was goals they needed. The game was starting to peter out with Carnew players earning two yellows cards for very dangerous pulls. So its a Leinster League final against Eire Óg Corra Choill from Kildare with the date to be confirmed.

Team: 1. Peter O’Brien (c)  2. Anthony Roche 3. Ciaran Roche. 4. Kevin O’Brien  5. Richard Blake. 6. Denis Carroll  7. Ben Redmond (0-1)  8. Paul O’Leary. 9. Darren Byrne (0-3). 10. Jake Nobbs (0-1)  11. Dean Wright (0-7, 0-6 frees). 12. Kevin Corrigan (0-1)  13. Mick Lillis. 14. Diarmuid Murphy (1-1). 15. Dean Whelan

Subs used: Paul Murphy for Kevin Corrigan, Denis O’Brien for Jake Nobbs, Kerill Sutton for Paul O’Leary, Aaron Culleton for Kevin O’Brien.